This comprehensive training tool was put together by leading professional dog trainer Adam Katz (from dogproblems.com). He states that this training package is his attempt to bring together all of the latest tricks, tips and crafts of the dog training profession, and make them accessible to the ordinary dog owner.
This book and the bonuses that come with it have changed the way I think about dog training – and no doubt for the better. If you closely follow Adam’s tried and proven training techniques, you’ll come away with so much more than just a “well trained dog”.
What You Get In The Package
Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer Book
This is the main book in the package, when downloaded it’s 151 pages (316 pages in its formatted version) chock full of the best dog ownership and obedience training information I have seen in any one book. The Secrets of a Professional Dog Trainer book isn’t slick or glossy with lots of pretty pictures. It’s just a great resource of the latest cutting edge and useable dog training techniques. There is so much to take in and understand that you will probably need to read through the book at least a couple of times (I still find new things each time I flick through my copy).
Adam Katz’s book covers in precise detail every imaginable aspect of dog ownership and is presented in a no-nonsense, take it or leave it style. Adam gets away with writing in this style because he has an absolute confidence in his training methods which is based on years of experience and proven real-world results.
I can’t go into too much specific detail and give away Adam’s secrets, but I’ll just highlight some of the many topics which are covered. These are just some of the lessons I found to be crucial when working with my own dog:
- How to achieve a proper relationship with your puppy or older dog, based on trust and respect.
- The overriding principle of this package it to praise or rewardyour dog when he does something you like, and correct his behavior when he does something you don’t like (sounds simple but you’ll learn the right way to do this).
- Shows you how to work with the natural drives and instincts of your dog(this is one of the fundamentals to understand and follow).
- Explains the 3 keys to successful dog training and behavior modification– the first key is “timing”.
- Details the three phases of dog training or the dog learning process. Training your dog is not a one off
- Shows you how to communicate with your dog so that your dog understands your commands, and those same commands have meaning.
- Explains the top four ways to effectively communicate with your dogs. You achieve this through replicating how dogs communicate with each other.
- Secrets of a Professional Dog Trainer explains why you the dog’s owner are the best person in the world to train your dog.
“Dog problems are universal – the good news is so are the answers to these problems”
If you read, understand and then apply the above principles outlined in Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer you are pretty much set. All of your dog training needs can be addressed by adapting these methods to any situation, whether you are trying to correct a behavioral problem or teach a new trick.
Below are some of the specific lessons and topics discussed within the book – again I can’t go into too much detail here but let me assure you that Adam leaves his readers in no doubt about what to do and what not to do in all of these scenarios:
- How to choose the right puppy or older dog for you and your family.
- What your puppy needs at each crucial stage while growing up.
- Tells you how professional dog trainers raise their own pups.
- Training a puppy to walk on a loose leash
- How to perform and hold a perfect down-stay – until you say it’s ok to get up.
- How to prevent or fix canine aggression.
- Stop your dogs excessive barking.
- Five secrets to quickly housebreak (potty train) your puppy.
- The truth about crate training.
- Stop your dog jumping forever.
- The problem with clicker training.
- Which collar is right for your dog.
- How to stop your dog from digging.
- Stop your puppy biting now.
- How to stop your dog running away from you.
- How to fix separation anxiety.
- How to teach your dog hand signals.
- Socializing your dogs.
- Training with and electronic collar.
- How to give a motivational correction.
The above list of common dog problems barely scratches the surface of what’s included in Secrets of a Professional Dog Trainer. You’ll find the book addresses all areas of dog ownership including building a strong relationship with your dog, obedience training and correcting any behavioral problems.
What professional dog trainer Adam Katz is really doing in this book is training his readers, so we can then go and bond with, and train our dogs- the right way.
Bonus 1 – Eight Secrets To Becoming The “Alpha Dog”
This proved to be the most beneficial part of the package for me and my dog. Once I learned and applied the techniques covered in this bonus book everything else I did with my dog seemed to become easier. Whether I was teaching them a new trick or correcting a behavioral problem, the process seemed to be easier and quicker after we established that I was always the Alpha Dog. As Adam outlines in the book (you can also listen to it as an audio file) when you become the Alpha Dog your dogs do these four things:
- Quickly respond to you.
- Respect you in any situation.
- Bond with you in the proper way.
- Really want to please you.
This occurs because dogs naturally love to have a pack leader (you the Alpha Dog). They are happiest when they’ve got a good strong leader, who they know will take care of them and that they trust.
Bonus 2 – Where To Buy Dog Products At Wholesale Prices
Lists some very cheap suppliers of dog care and training products. This part of the package is most useful to residents of the U.S.A. You’ll never go down to your local pet store after reading this valuable bonus ebook.
Bonus 3 – The Puppy Primer: How To Know When To Train Which Behaviors
2 page ebook which is a quick guide or “cheat sheet” to the first year of your puppy’s life. Discusses the various stages of your young puppy’s life including – vaccination schedule, socialization periods and when to expect teeth to come through.
Bonus 4 – How To Fix Aggression Problems In Dogs
Again this section is available to learn in printed form or as an audio file (I actually learned these lessons on the train, on my way to work listening on my ipod). This section of Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer clearly defines the four main causes or types of dog aggression. Adam really digs deep into how to correctly diagnose and fix these aggression problems. He reveals one simple technique that he has used to fix 90% of the aggression problems he encountered while at his dog training school. What I learnt in this section is that it is the way we communicate with our dogs that is essential to correcting this problem – we must be on the same page as our dogs.
Bonus 5 – How To Teach Any Dog To Walk On A Loose Leash In Less Than 10 Minutes!
The title says it all really. Adam spells out exactly what to do to stop your dog pulling on the leash. These techniques work a treat. I’ve got to say it did take me and Pocky (my whippet) a little longer than 10 minutes to master this skill, but we got there before long! Teaching your dog to walk on a loose leash is covered in a written transcript, audio and through online video on Adam’s dogproblems.com membership page.
Bonus 6 – How To Choose A Veterinarian
Unfortunately, as dog owners there will be times we need to call on the services of a good Vet. This book outlines some important factors to consider when making this decision. These points are general and apply to all dog owners, regardless of which part of the world you are in. Once again you can listen to these tips or read them – whichever you prefer best.
Bonus 7 – Unlimited E-mail Consultations With Adam!
This is a great bonus. If you do decide to go ahead and purchase Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer be sure to use this service. Any specific problems you come across when training your dogs, you can get the answer here. Also be aware that you will receive free access to heaps of training tips and advice on Adam’s website. This includes an active forum you can read and participate in (there’s some brilliant tips to be found on this site). This bonus is worth the price of the Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer package alone – it’s like having the services of a professional dog trainer “on call”.
Dogproblems.com Members Area – $37 per month which you can cancel anytime When You Purchase Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer
When you purchase the Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer package you receive access to Adam’s dogproblems.com members area. The coolest and most remarkable thing about this members area is that you pay an affordable one-time fee of $97. Or you can choose to pay $37 per month which you can cancel anytime. What will you find in the members only area?
- An active and large community of like minded dog owners– this includes a lively dog training discussion forum.
- Hundreds of dog care and training related articles– which is continually being updated.
- Access to many other ebooks which includes an absolute gem called “The Perfect Puppy”. A few of the many other excellent ebooks you’ll find in the members area are “The Dog Food Report”, “How To Stop Your Puppy Or Older Dog From Biting” and “Save Money At The Vet”.
- Interviews with leading dog trainersfrom across the globe.
- Heaps of specific dog ownership information such as teaching dog tricks, stopping puppy chewing, dealing with aggressive dog behavior, obedience training commands and Adam’s thoughts on “The Dog Whisperer”Cesar Millan.
- The dogproblems.com members area also contains some excellent online dog training videos which you view on your computer screen. I found these videos to include some of the most valuable and beneficial training advice in the whole Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer package. Take a look at what you will learn in these online videos:
- How To Teach Any Dog To Walk On A Loose Leash.
- How To Teach Your Dog To Hold A “Down-Stay” (Until You Tell Him To Get Up!).
- Puppy Housebreaking In A Hurry!
- How To Teach Your Dog To Come (Every Time You Call Him).
- Boundary Training For Your Dogs – Boundary, Perimeter & Property Training.
- A Whole Range Of Training Videos From Leading Dog Trainer Fred Hassen.
The above videos are a fantastic resource – you get to actually see Adam Katz train many real life dogs in a variety of training situations.
My Experience Using Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer
When I first set out to find a suitable do-it-yourself dog training system, this package is really what I had hoped to find. It took me a while to wade through lots of the junk products out in the marketplace, but it was worth it.
Of all the products I have tested, this one is clearly my personal favorite. Secrets of a Professional Dog Trainer is by far the most comprehensive and insightful product of its kind. Every stage and thinkable situation of a dog’s life is expertly addressed by Adam. Most importantly Adam’s training methods are outlined clearly and consistently throughout the entire package.
What Type Of Dog Owner Would Benefit Most From Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer?
I’ve recommended this package to many friends who are first time dog owners – I’d be just as comfortable recommending it to Professional Dog Trainers. All dog owners (and their dogs) would benefit from learning and applying Adam’s cutting edge training methods. He is the leading authority on how to properly bond with and obedience train any puppy or dog.
More specifically I would give Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer my highest endorsement for owners of larger dog breeds and also owners who have dogs with established behavioral problems.
As you’ve probably already figured out, I am a huge fan of Secrets Of A Professional Dog Trainer. If you’d like to find out some more about this package and Adam’s training methods please click through to his website here – dogproblems.com.
Please note that Adam advocates and uses a pinch or prong collar in many training situations – so if you are not comfortable using this equipment then this course is probably not for you.
One last thing – whilst the information in this package is great, and works, it is not a magic pill. You’ll learn the correct way to train your dog with the Secrets of a Professional Dog Trainer package. Then it’s a matter of getting out there with your ever willing dog and applying the lessons for yourself.